Redeemer Lutheran Church of Rio, WI is a congregation of God’s people that has been guided through God’s grace since 1903. We have been blessed as we have grown and worked to spread God’s word. We are excited at every baptism, first communion, confirmation, and the welcoming of new members.
Our spiritual heritage is mostly from Scandinavian ancestry. The early beginnings of Lutheranism in this area were started through “circuit-riding pastors” who were ministering to several small congregations in this area. With their home base at Koshkonong, near Stoughton, it eventually became necessary for Rio to have its own church. The cornerstone for Redeemer was laid on September 27, 1903 when the church was built and the dedication took place on July 17, 1904. The cost of the building was $4,000. There were many that gave gifts of money and most of the labor was donated. In 1932, the Norwegian language was discontinued at services, partially at first and then altogether.
For a long time, church leaders had encouraged congregations to name their church so it would serve as a Christian witness, rather than just a location. When the re-modeled church and parish hall were dedicated in 1965, the name of the church was changed from “Rio Evangelical Lutheran Church” to “Redeemer Lutheran Church”. Redeemer was proud to celebrate its centennial year in 2003.
Music has been an important part of Redeemer’s worship. There has never been a year without a voice choir. Currently, we have an adult choir and a bell choir that adds a special musical touch to our worship services. Often you will hear one or both in action at Sunday services.
We look forward to what the future will bring and pray for continued energy and enthusiasm along with wisdom as our current membership joyfully participates in the mission our Lord has set for us.
Our Church Council and Staff